Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Scotch Watch 2008

In the case of my ever-evolving palate, I’ve decided to find out about the best single malt scotches (to me, that is, of course), experientially. To that effect, I’ve been trying a few and here are my latest (but by no means last) observations:

Laphroaig: I recently tasted this at a local pub-sterant ($10 a drink). Let me just say that the smell of it turned me off right away. Chemical, nasty. Taste was the same. No go on this one.

Macallan 12-year ($45/bottle): Good. Edges, but not harsh. Drinkable.

Glenmorangie Santa Rosa ($80/bottle): Beautifully light and smooth, with just a hint of sweetness. Aromatic. Very drinkable. DH Jeff & my only negative observation: …but is it worth $80/bottle?

Tamdhu 10-year ($20/bottle): I was persuaded to try this by a Sikh liquor store employee who doesn’t even drink. Note to self: don’t trust the advice of someone who doesn’t actually drink the stuff. The edges on this puppy were so hard they could cut. I found this scotch to be undrinkable. Using it for cooking.

More on this story as it develops. There is a dizzying array of scotch choices, even from the same distiller. My question: would we actually be able to tell the difference between a 12- and an 18-year scotch? We will see…

No comments: