Friday, July 07, 2006

On another positive note...

...is a story a few days ago in the Post about diesel car owners who use used vegetable oil from local restaurants and bars in their cars for fuel. Yeah, they have to buy a converter & yeah that can cost a bundle (depending), but the oil burns cleaner and the best part is - it's free. Businesses have to pay to have it hauled away, so they're happy to supply individuals with it free to take it away. I just love situations like this that 1) are eco-sound, 2) creative alternatives to the usual business (esp. the fuel business), 3) community-centered, 4) show that individuals can do the right thing and 5) strengthen my philosophy of/argument for "mutuality" AKA "symbiosis" (not just for lower animals any more!).

1 comment:

gas28man said...

The Democrat who's running for Senate from here in Tennessee (Bill Frist's soon-to-be former seat), Harold Ford Jr., drives a pickup truck that runs on bio-diesel. I attended a rally for him a couple weeks ago, and when he drove away, it smelled like popcorn. Some days, his staffer told me, it smells like french fries. A big plus, either way!! If I could get my car's exhaust to smell like sauteeing onions and garlic, I'd be a happy man.