Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Another Book Review....

This one's of A Million Little Pieces, by James Frey. Recommended to me by my former boss at the book store. Yeh, I know, it's an Oprah Book Club selection, but it's actually pretty good. And it didn't take me several months to read it either. Normally I would NOT be drawn to a book about a drug addict, but this guy said it was a good read, so...yeh it was.

Part of the readability is that 1) the story of addiction is SO extreme you wonder if anyone could actually do that much damage to him/herself (so, it's part train-wreck effect), 2) reading it makes you feel SOOOO normal and well-adjusted (yeh, even if you're an obsessive-compulsive like me who worries about everything). Part of it is the (true-to-life) story-teller becomes a sympathetic character, believe it or not. You actually want him to succeed. You may even become teary-eyed at parts - beware!

Ok, enough said, it's a quick read and not in any way academic. Yes, I would recommend this book.

No comments: