Friday, June 16, 2006

Book Reviews Galore, Part 1

So, I've been reading a lot and now I'm finally getting around to reviewing them for you, dear readers. However, I'm going to have to publish them one at a time because I can't seem to get my act together (read: I regard laying out in the sun to be of higher priority than doing my book reports). But here is one...

Under the Tuscan Sun, by Frances Mayes, is a delightful, if sometimes rambling account of two college professors’ purchase and subsequent renovation of an old Italian farmhouse. The wife narrates – and actually the book is a result of her journal & all the notes and recipes that went into it – and describes all the pitfalls and triumphs (both large & small) in renovating (anything) in Italy. She also describes all the wonderful food and drink that they prepare and enjoy with their guests and family there. I think that’s my favorite part – just being inspired to cook (for me that means “for Jeff to cook & me to eat”) more and enjoy those simple dishes with fabulous, fresh ingredients. And, of course, the wine. So, although the book doesn’t have a plot as such, it’s still fun to read about the couple’s travails (that would drive us absolutely crazy) and their ultimate enjoyment of their Tuscan home.

No comments: