Monday, October 22, 2007

Restaurant Reviews: 2 neighborhood places

I have a hobby. It involves food. This weekend, while my dear Jeff was camping in Death Valley, I was at home trying to make myself study for an exam, do research for a paper on postpartum psychosis, finish a piece for our writing group, clean the apartment, work out and organize our finances. The apartment is cleaner, I’m worked out, the laundry is clean and folded, my credit card is paid, the short story is posted, and by end of weekend, I have a good start on the whole exam thing with Monday to cement it.

But back to my hobby. I figured I needed some fun. Fun in my terms involves trying new restaurants, trying new foods, getting a feel for the character of the place. I’m fortunate that my neighborhood is chock-full of restaurants, some of which are brand new. And, figured I could do some recon for when Jeff gets back, maybe find our new favorite place. I tried two places; here are the results.
Saturday night, I tried Restaurant Three, which is located where Mama Kwan’s Tiki Bar (lasted a summer, never went there) existed before. 3 is an upscale, medium-priced (for this area) restaurant with soothing, eye-easy lighting and sophisticated seating inside and out. The group of three in front of me were told there was a half-hour wait to be seated, which seemed odd since I could see empty tables. I thought uh-oh, pretension, but I asked anyway and was pleasantly surprised when the gal said I could eat at the “VIP” bar (the smaller one) instead of waiting for a table. And the whole place is non-smoking. Jackpot! – that worked perfectly – and I was seated immediately.*

I ordered the field greens salad and then the grouper filet over risotto, with prawn, scallops and artichokes. The salad was pretty and tasty with a decent vinaigrette and diced veggie accents, but… not wow. You must understand, I’m the queen of salads. And my vinaigrettes tend to be spicy, which seems to be an odd concept in the mainstream [perspective, folks]. The grouper dish was very tasty, fresh and substantial, but why do all these upscale places have to over-salt their food? I had the same experience at Liberty Tavern, with an otherwise delicious gnocchi dish. Also, except for the sautéed grape tomatoes, the dish looked kind of beige – could have used some delicate asparagus spears for color. The bartender/waiter was attentive yet not overbearing and the manager came out to introduce himself and applaud my tolerance of a Polish businessman who had been bending my ear. It was altogether a pleasant evening and I’d certainly be willing to go there again with Jeff and try some new stuff.

The other night, I tried Me Jana, a new Lebanese place in the spot where the very bland Sala Thai used to be (I didn’t expect that S/T would last as it had direct competition from a number of non-bland Thai places within a block). Anyhoo, was very interested in trying the place & I think I found our new favorite place, just a block away! Me Jana has a wonderful menu of reasonably-priced hot and cold mezzes as well as some higher-priced main courses. For the money though, I think anyone would be very happy ordering a few of the small plates. I had the fettoush and zucchini fritters for dinner. The fettoush was what I would consider a perfect salad with a tangy vinaigrette, tomatoes, Italian parsley, radishes and cucumbers – and not over-salted. The “fritters,” more like little patties, had mint and were served with a delightful, garlicky sauce. Again, not over-salted. I then tried one of the desserts, I think called Halewat, which was some sort of soft cheese with a sort of syrup and pistachios – very nice and different. The dish looked small and delicate, but I definitely could have shared it – very dense and maybe due to my slight lactose intolerance, made me very full. All the flavors were very distinct and bright, as were the presentations. The service was very attentive and I didn’t have to wait for “my” waiter to accommodate, the wait-staff seemed to be tag-teaming. And I gathered that the place was non-smoking! I REALLY want to go back with Jeff and try a bunch of new things. This place was a stand-out and would be a great place for a book club meeting (hint, hint) or for any casual and relaxing evening among friends.

*Very few restaurants are worth a half-hour wait. Anything more than that is ridiculous – there are so many good restaurants that would value your patronage. As a matter of fact, if I hadn’t been seated so quickly, I would have marched down to our favorite sushi place – and I know they would be happy to see me!

No comments: