Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Decide what you're willing to eat, then just order

Discuss amongst yourselves already. Don't ask me to choose, because I don't have the incredible number of food exclusions that you do, so I'm likely to order something you don't like or refuse to eat. And I don't mean allergies, I mean plain choice exclusions. Here are only some:

- no red meat or pork
- no meat at all
- ew, raw fish
- no seafood or fish (even cooked)
- no tomatoes
- no onions
- no spicy food
- no mushrooms
- no vegetables or salads
- I'll order my own entree at a tapas place instead of sharing whatever you order
- [add your own]

Seriously folks, if we were out in the wild, you would die (and I would live) because you wouldn't bring down that antelope and eat already.

This food discrimination has been an increasing annoyance to me. When entertaining or eating out with folks (esp at tapas places), one ALWAYS has to provide and/or order food that lands in between the NARROW range of acceptable food. It's no surprise that we don't have any vegan friends. And, it's actually a HUGE relief to eat with folks who say (and mean), "I eat everything." You just know DH Jeff wouldn't have lasted a week (vs nearly 14 years) if either of us were picky eaters.

That said, here are a few kudos:

- thanks to our parents who had us try a variety of foods as children, so that as adults, we're pan-food-friendly. As a matter of fact, as I grow older, my range of likes is expanding, not shrinking.

- thanks to those friends and family who look at food as an adventure, and gamely try anything.

- thanks to DH Jeff for not only being a great and willing cook, but one who isn't afraid of experimenting.

- thanks to Pete for generously giving us his hunting overflow (yes - we love venison!). Now if you'd only come over so we could cook some for you. :)

- thanks to God or whatever powers-that-be for creating so many edible and appetizing things. Vive la variété!

1 comment:

gas28man said...

Hey, don't knock the vegans. You don't have to be one of them to eat their food. Or bop them on the head with a frozen leg of lamb and just take it from them. ;-)