Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Archaeological coolness in Colombia

WaPo has a neat blurb about some really freaky and awesome dig findings in Colombia. Coal mining sites have revealed a treasure trove of fossils, most notibly those of multiple HUGE snakes, that may have fed on crocodiles and giant turtles. Many other well-preserved fossils (fauna but also flora) are being found, the kinds of which indicating that the area was once a tropical rainforest-type place where scrub and small trees now grow. Check out the whole article here.

1 comment:

Steph Sperling said...

Erm, Renee? Minor correction to your post: archaeology only deals with past cultures and the stuff people left behind. Paleontology is the study of fossils and dinosaurs and that sort of thing. I only bring this up because I can't count the number of times people have said to me, "Ooh! You're an archaeologist! I love dinosaurs!" Often, when I tell them I don't actually dig for dinosaurs, they get angry with me. I consider it my personal mission to educate the public about the difference.

But fossils are cool too...