Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Status and requirements

Ok, so I've submitted applications for 13 different jobs (at different orgs) as of yesterday. I started a 14th yesterday afternoon via USAJobs via DCNetworks only to find out that I must enter all my resume info ALL OVER AGAIN on the particular agency's employment portal. Now, mind you, I had entered ALL of my stupid resume info on BOTH USAJobs and DCNetworks ALREADY. If I didn't know any better, I'd conclude that this particular agency was trying to make the application process so onerous that the prospective applicant would just give up. That's where I am now albeit subject to change.

Not to mention that these government jobs all seem to require a masters degree or at least graduate school work. Huh? For an accounting clerk position? For essentially an admin assistant position? Are you for real? And some online govt applications have this whole questionnaire about the extent of knowledge about different forms, applications, processes specific to the govt. I mean, come on - how hard could it be to learn this stuff on the job? We are talking about the federal government, right? Maybe if I confessed to cheating on my taxes* that would substitute for the education and bureaucrat-specific knowledge requirements.

On a related topic, some of you know about my unfortunate experience with an almost-job. Well, I won't go into the gory details, but I have come up with a bunch of bottom-line standards for my prospective employers (besides a livable salary, of course):

5. My duties must not - under any circumstances - have anything to do with Comcast.
4. Because I haven't reached any level of mind-reading, my supervisor actually needs to communicate expectations. I can only intuit so much.
3. I am not willing to wait months for my first paycheck. Pay is life, get it?
2. The organization must have a stable, ongoing and reliable funding stream. This means actually having money on a regular basis in the bank. For stuff like payroll.
1. My supervisor must not be a textbook example of an abusive personality. There's no wiggle room to this one.

Well, if my job search hasn't been a smashing success, my quilting is coming along great. More on this as the story develops.

* Never have, never will cheat on my taxes, BTW. Drat.

No comments: