Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A bit of grousing

So, maybe I shouldn’t be complaining or feeling frustrated so soon after starting up this book club thing again…maybe I should just give it some time, but…

Besides those folks who were SO interested in joining a book club, yet aren’t going to show again…or haven’t communicated at all after the initial burst of enthusiasm…besides those folks who cancel at the last minute and give lame excuses…I have a new favorite “member”: the ones who won’t be attending this Sunday because of Super Bowl. Over half of the members have not even confirmed whether or not they’ll be attending – and I bet when I pull teeth yet again, they’ll tell me they have to go to a Super Bowl party and can’t make it.

You know, it’s not like coordinating this damned Book Club takes any time, effort or money…it’s not like I have anything better to do (work, school, etc.)…it’s not like we’ve consciously tried to make membership as completely easy as possible…as cheap as possible…as democratic as possible. What exactly are we doing wrong? Do we have to canvass the group to make sure there aren’t any exciting sporting events (mind you, watching – not playing), stubbed toes, sock-drawer-organizing emergencies that might derail meeting-attendance?

Hit a nerve? Good. I’m feeling very frustrated with the lack of buy-in of these “members.” If you just want to read books and not meet – then do so. But don’t act like you really want to be in a book club – which suggests, get this, that you actually SHOW UP for discussions. It’s once a month, for gosh sakes!

Whatever, tomorrow I’ll send out another email to those who haven’t responded (pulling teeth) and see what happens.

Technorati topics: ,

No comments: