Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Little Bits

Quick and short bits of interest: news and otherwise. Today's going to be a long, busy day and I won't have time to post more than this.

There's a Sunday Washington Post article that I've been holding onto in order to tell you about it. A day late and a dollar short, as always. In the district a few months ago, construction workers found an intact coffin with what appears to be a 13-year-old who died of pneumonia in the 1850s. Now, the Museum of Natural History is gathering experts, including a clinical pathologist, to examine the body, which is very well-preserved. Wahoo! When I finally get my credentials, this is the sort of thing that I would LOVE to be involved in. I mean, how cool!

In today's Post, there's an article about the iPod revolution. Has two points of personal interest: 1) Jeff just bought me an iPod Mini for a "summer gift" (random, but I'm not complaining!) and I LOVE it (I can see why so many people are hooked); and 2) they mention a gal who works out at our gym in Clarendon. Never met her, but still cool. Anyhoo, I need to finish the article on the metro this morning.

I was recently on the metro, sitting next to this Asian gal. I looked down at her feet for some reason and noted that her toe nails were so long as to be talons. Now, I have see this "style" wherein women will let their toe nails grown long and have them pedicured. Between me & you, I can't stand the trend. I just don't think it's attractive to have toenails so long and pointy that they could be used as weapons. Looks kind of feral.

Well, that was a nice visit, but now I must shower and get my little iPodded self to work. Did I mention how glad I'll be to leave there?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

iPod good...nice melodic cocoons for everyone...actually, it reminds me of Farenheit 451, which I just re-read last night...in which people are constantly listening to "Seashell radios" tiny receivers that fit into the ear and are on constantly (the main character's wife sleeps with one in each ear). People walling themselves off from others...altough, I don't recall ever interacting with my fellow Metro denizens before I was Podded.

Oh, as far as the talons, perhaps she is a harpy in disguise? Just a thought...a strange thought, but a thought none-the-less .

gas28man said...

I got my daughter an iPod for her birthday, and loaded it up with whatever music I had on the hard drive at home before I gave it to her. I got to fiddle with it for a few days, and I have to say it's a pretty awesome little device. Congrats and enjoy!