Thursday, March 09, 2006

More Illegal Immigrant Boohooing

In today's Post is an article about some poor illegal who's been here for years with her family, trying to earn a degree in nursing from a community college, but can't qualify for in-state tuition and federal funding. That she can't take a full course load because she can't afford it. Wahhhhh! Cry me a river!

Her hope is that boneheaded Virginia will pass a bill that basically says if you've been here for a long time, you can get an exception to the rule and get in-state tuition. Doesn't matter if you're illegal. Wonderful. What's next?

Those of you who know me know at least 2 things about me: 1) I'm struggling to get through a Criminal Justice: Forensic Science degree so that I can finally have a meaningful CAREER and 2) I'm COMPLETELY against any benefits for people who have not earned the privilege of being in this country. Yeh, all I can get is a measley grant from the state in which I've been paying a shit-load of taxes for almost twenty years (yeh, count'em). I can't even get federal loans to cover my tuition fully. I applied for eleven scholarships/grants with criteria I certainly met and got one small grant. I'm taking one class this semester because I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life; I have approximately FIFTY credit hours to go. Now mind you, my first degree I earned a 3.89 GPA and that was while working full-time.

Forgive the self-righteous whining, but I'm a taxpaying, loyal CITIZEN/good student and I can't get the support I need to do this degree (And before you say, well, you could just keep applying for scholarships, that takes TIME and ENERGY - all for notional funding). OH, but there's a heap of sympathy for the poor illegal bitch who's not evening seeking citizenship, just legal residency. While she's here, in this country, studying in my state.

This is hopeless - I might as well give up and just work at tedious, meaningless, jobs so I can support all the unfortunate undocumenteds in their quest for the American Dream - without the legality and without any real commitment or loyality to this country. Meanwhile, I limp on and worry.

No comments: