Monday, September 24, 2007

Restaurant Review: Ella's Pizza

On Saturday, DH Jeff & I went out with brother Chris and wife Steph to celebrate their birthdays. Chris suggested we try Ella's Pizza which had gotten good reviews for their pizza, sangria, and also had a nice list of small plates that looked interesting. Well, I would highly recommend this bright, cheery and easy-going restaurant. We tried a variety of things including some small plates, salad, some pizzas (a little larger than strictly "personal" size), cocktails, sangria, desserts.

Here are some highlights:

- The small plates: basically tapas - really good, fresh and gourmet (think fresh herbs, shaved parmesan). We had one with asparagus & one with shitake mushrooms. One could just have a meal of several of those and be happy.

- The pizzas were noteworthy as well. We chose, three of the "standard" (off the menu) pizzas that looked interesting: one with mushrooms & goat cheese, one with pepperoni and one with onions and gorgonzola. All tasty and habit-forming (they went very quickly), but my favorite was the mushroom and goat cheese - plenty of wonderful shitake with slightly tart, soft goat cheese. If you wish to guide your own toppings, you can do that, too.

- For dessert, we tried the trio of fresh ice creams (choco-choco chip, caramel and vanilla), the tiramisu and the chocolate pudding. Although I'm not such a dessert person, everything was really good and not cloyingly sweet. Since they have changing fresh ice cream selections, I would be inclined to try others they may offer.

- Ella's has a full bar and offers some specialty drinks. I tried the Ellatini, which reminds me of my version of a Cosmo: pink, sweet-tart. I'd definitely have it again. The sangria is also good, though I'm not sure if I prefer it to, let's say, Jaleo's version.

Ella's has something for everyone, including plenty of vegetarian selections (salads, small plates, pizza), and is very reasonably priced. The place is casual, friendly, and they didn't mind seating DH Jeff & I before Chris and Steph arrived. Definitely a keeper!

No comments: