Sunday, September 09, 2007

Restaurant Review: The Liberty Tavern

Saturday evening I convinced DH Jeff that we needed to check out this new place in Clarendon called The Liberty Tavern. I had walked by there and had seen an area with lounge-y couches and thought, hmmm...looks like my kind of place. Then lo and behold, WaPo featured it in the Weekend Section's Fare Minded, giving it good scores for food, noting the area and even restaurant produced fare (think cheeses, butter, bread).

Ah, so it's not just a barstaurant or another one of the area's ubiquitous Irish bars! Hurrah! Here's the set-up: the ground floor is occupied by the bar, tall bar-type tables and chairs, and the lounge-y area with coffee-type tables at which you can eat and drink in a relaxed fashion. Upstairs, where we ate, is a soothing, wooden-floored dining room with cool red-shaded lighting.

We shared a very nice, light fritto misto (calamari, shrimp, zucchini spears) and a very fresh chopped salad. I had the "intermezzo" portion (a smaller portion of their entrees) of their gnocci dish and Jeff had the fish and chips. I tried the blackberry cocktail & a glass of shiraz. Food run-down: fritto misto was very good and not greasy; the chopped salad had enough field greens and blue cheese to keep me happy; the gnocci was a tad too salty but consisted of perfect little tasty pillows mixed with beans instead of the standard big, doughy lumps & the smaller portion size suited me after the well-sized appetizers; the fish and chips are HUGE and very crispy (note that before ordering heavy appetizers); and the bread basket offered a nice variety, freshly baked with wonderful whipped local butter. The drinks: Jeff didn't have anything that night, but I tried two: the blackberry cocktail was good, not cloyingly sweet, a little tart - nice, but not wowing. The shiraz was not one I was familiar with but was very enjoyable - I'd order it again. Service: our waiter was attentive, informative (food origins-wise) friendly and seemed sad to see us go without dessert. We never had to ask for water-glass refills - water-bearers were alert and proactive. The atmosphere was very comfortable and relaxing; however, the upstairs dining room does get noisy, especially when a large family came in.

I definitely want to go back and sit downstairs. The menu also has pizzas - I'd imagine the smaller, personal pizzas, which could be nice with a little salad. Oh, and did I mention - the entire place is NON-SMOKING! How enlightened.

No comments: