Thursday, July 03, 2008

Booze Notes: Chardonnay

I'll admit it - I used to be a complete chardonnay snob. I hated what I found to be the prevalent flavors: oakiness and fruitiness. Yechh. But then I had an awakening: not all chardonnays taste the same! You know why? While some are aged in oak casks (thus the oakiness), others are aged in steel tanks (no oak!). What the latter lacks in charm, it makes up for in drinkability (to my palate). Here are my latest joyful discoveries:

Fat Bastard Chardonnay($8.99/bottle, Whole Foods) - France. Mellow and smooth, very relaxing. And you can't beat the colorful name.

Riven Rock Chardonnay ($5.99/bottle, Whole Foods) - California. Crisp, bracing and a little tart. Can't beat the price either.

Oh, and you can check out Whole Foods online wine info/tutorials here.

No comments: