Tuesday, July 15, 2008

You would think, but you'd be wrong

Case in point: I was shopping at Whole Foods (WF) this evening and it was pretty busy. Plus, they're re-arranging the layout so things are kind of tight while the changes are in progress. I wanted to grab a couple of bagels for breakfast tomorrow. BUT: this woman was in front of me so I had to wait. She opened the bakery case door and was trying to make up her mind about what baked goods to take. Standing. Deciding. Deciding. Deciding some more. Now, I know she realized that I was there, waiting for her to move so I could also experience the wonders of WF's bakery. This didn't alter her careful and painfully lengthy decision-making at all. By the time she moved out of the way, there was at least one guy waiting behind me. Oy.

Oh, if this was an isolated case! But no - last weekend a couple with two small sons were planted in front of the case. The grown-ups were letting their boys experience the wonder of choosing their own bagels. Again the decision-making that required EXTENSIVE consideration. Again the total "blindness" to my standing there waiting. And everyone else who was losing hope of ever choosing their dinner rolls. Oy.

You would think that these special, special people would understand that there are others who might like a shot at the baked goods and since we cannot pass through human flesh to obtain them, it might be considerate to MAKE YOUR DAMN CHOICE AND GET OUT OF THE BLESSED WAY. You would think that, but you'd be wrong.

4 comments:

Edward Ott said...

how is you being at the back of the line thier problem?

and what self respecting conservative shops at whole foods?

Stephen Rothandler said...

Its their problem because people should treat others as they would like to be treated themselves, i.e. nicely. That means sharing and not making other people wait.

I have a similar pet peeve. It happends when I am riding the subway, and reach my destination station, and the train has come to a stop, and I am standing in the doorway waiting for the train doors to open. There are people waiting on the platform for the doors to open. Mind you, the train does not stop on a dime, so they have had plenty of time (i.e. a few seconds) to figure out where the doors are going to be relative to their spot on the platform. Yet, often these people refuse to step out of the way for those exiting the train. The Metro system runs public announcements on this reminding patrons to wait for those exiting the car before boarding the train. Sometimes I am so stressed out by this that I daydream about "Hulking Out" and tossing these inconsiderate people aside like sacks of potatoes as I rampage throught the crowds on the platforms, smashing my way through the farecard lanes and making loud, guttoral noises. Or I envision blocking the doors like a human juggernaut, refusing to exit until they give way, and preventing them from getting on the train at all as I ride along and get off at the next station. Just to share with them my own frustration.

gas28man said...

Funny how public transportation seems to attract the thoughtless. Here's my peeve:

I get on at the same bus stop after work every day for the last year and a half. It's an office park, so all the people boarding are professionals or clerical workers of one sort or another. I board with the same three ladies every day. But one of them, without fail, will wait until she has climbed the steps and stood by the fare box to then drop her bag, rummage through it for her wallet, fish out her passcard and swipe it, then put everything away before moving to her seat. I, being the gentleman, allow the ladies to all board first, so of course, I'm the one standing there, my pass at the ready to swipe, for this mindless twit to go through the same exercise every day.

Some days she has two bags, and she can't remember which one holds her wallet and passcard. I've noted the expressions of the bus drivers on some occasions appear frustrated, as they are expected to proceed on-time, and she's holding them up. At times, they motion me to crowd in so they can close the doors and move on.

Finally after months of this infuriating little exercise, I asked some of the other ladies I ride with (who do not board at the same location) if they thought I was getting too tightly wound by getting upset over this. Heck no, they said. They had watched it too and wondered why this buffoon is never ready with her pass before the bus arrives. Would they think I was uncivil and ungentlemanly to elbow past her and get on, literally and figuratively? No, they'd do the same thing.

So that's what I've been doing. And even though I've got sharp elbows, she still hasn't gotten the picture. But at least I get to watch her fumble for her pass from the comfort of my seat.

Stephen Rothandler said...

Your situation is undeniably worse since you are boarding with the same person every day. Perhaps you all should chip in and buy her a laminated plastic thingie that she can wear around her neck to hold her passcard. Not that you should have to spend the money, but maybe it would be worth it, assuming she would wear it and not just leave it in her bag.