Monday, November 24, 2008

5 people to thank today

Ok, so today I went into my former office & boxed my computer to transport home. No, I didn't steal it - I bought it from the organization because it's closing shop permanently & had to do something with the computers. Now, those of you who know me are wondering - how was I going to get these things home since I don't have a car? Did I have some car'd friend willing to give me a lift? Well, I do have lovely friends who would have helped had I asked them...but that would have taken forethought, common sense and planning. And I'll have none of that. Short story long, I "planned" to metro in, pack up, then catch a cab home. Brilliant huh? Well, that's exactly what I did. Fortunately, along the journey, I encountered some very nice souls who helped in various ways & should be thanked here:

1. The office building security lady who watched my boxes while I returned the hand-truck to my office;
2. The young man who volunteered to carry the heavy box to the curb so I could hail a cab;
3. The African cabby (accent, people, it was the accent) who carried the box from the curb and later to my doorstep, & admonished me that lifting heavy boxes was not a woman's job but a man's job. Amen to that;
4. The young woman who held open the apartment building doors for me even though she didn't even live in my building;
5. And last but not least, the concierge who lifted the box onto the cart so I could easily take it up to our apartment.

My computer is now home safely, my back intact, my mood cheery. Thanks guys!

No comments: