Friday, July 23, 2004

Welfare on Wilson - Redux

As I'm having a lame blogging week, I'd like to share a rant from my now defunct blog Big Stick Commentary (I like E.Z. better), which reflects my general outlook/mood at the time (last year).  Now, I'm never going to believe in welfare, but my rants thereof may take a somewhat softer tone.  Enjoy!

----------------
Welfare on Wilson
Let's just say I'm not a big fan of the current (or any) welfare system. I do believe that I, as a person who pays lots of taxes because I DON'T have dependents (among other things), have no particular moral or ethical compulsion to support those who breed - just because they breed - and their unfortunate offspring. Unfortunately, the Feds & VA state gov't disagree. I go to jail if I don't pay my taxes. That said, you can just imagine how I feel about a pair of lard-ass individuals with the stroller attachments canvassing our very own Wilson Blvd for handouts. Both lovely fiance Jeff & I have been accosted before and know them by sight. In fact, the other day, Jeff stopped dead in his tracks and said - "quick, we must cross the street." He had spied one such, and wished to avoid the whole scene...only to discover that her partner-in-panhandling was covering the other side! Now they have strategy! We passed by quickly, not allowing her to engage us. Let me just say that my loathing for welfare queens has found particular subjects. To wit, if I'm forced to shell out all this tax money for these morons, why the hell would I voluntarily give them MORE money?!!! What value are they providing us in return? Not raising the property values, let me tell you (not that that would help us anyway because we rent). Not making Arlington a more pleasant area through which to stroll. Not raising good self-reliant citizens - keep in mind that the kids in tow are observing all this - by which they'll grow to understand what is "normal and acceptable behavior." But, as usual, I'm accomplishing only one thing here - raising my own blood pressure. Females like them don't (refuse to) understand that having children is a choice, a personal responsibility and not a shared one at that. THEY made that choice (directly or by omission) and THEY are responsible for the wellbeing of their offspring. NOT ME, NOT JEFF. I feel sorry for the children, who don't have a choice in the matter, but giving their "mothers" money isn't going help the children in the long run - they're still in the same dysfunctional environment. Thus, we don't feel guilty about not enabling them to perpetuate their dependent behavior. And frankly, the thought of their demise really doesn't concern us - there will ALWAYS be more of their type, guaranteed. 

No comments: