Thursday, July 29, 2004

Why I'm a Conservative (part 3 in an endless series)

Do you ever wonder how some folks can justify all sorts of bad behavior and failure by blaming it on others?  And why others reinforce that abdication of responsibility, thus perpetuating it?  I do - all the time - and get really pissed about it.

Personal Responsibility!!!  As infants we are incapable of making decisions, but I'd say by earlier than age 15, we know that choosing to filet the neighbor is wrong.  One doesn't "just get pregnant,"  there are choices before the fact.  If I'm not happy in my present situation (job, life, etc), it's not the fault of my parents, society, liberals, The Man, name-your-own-scapegoat;  the onus to change my life and have some satisfaction is on me.  Things done in a drunken state are not justifiable because of that drunken state.  You get the picture.  With the exception of the random acts of God, a person chooses his or her destiny thru a series of smaller choices.

So, it is odious to me, the liberal belief that a person is only a sum of his/her environmental influences and cannot be held accountable for those choices.  And further, that the rest of us must bear the responsibility for the wellbeing/sustenance of that person - no matter what they've done, no matter if we would never have made those choices.  And that we must never question any of the person's subsequent choices nor object to our forced support of them.     Also in this view is the belief that we the people are not to be trusted to make our own decisions regarding our own earned income - basically everything has to be legislated and social programmed to death - because government knows best.

I realize this is a rambling rant, but you understand of which I speak, no?

No comments: