Monday, May 08, 2006

Phone Calls, Meetings, Double Booking & Tai Shan

I don't really like talking on the phone. I actually run out of things to say & if I like the person would much rather be chatting with them in person over wine and cheese. If I don't really care for the person, then a brief email would suffice. Come to think of it, emails suffice in most situations. There's a limit to my attention span - to my own ramblings as well - and I find it hard to just listen without actually seeing the person.

Mostly, this is how I feel about meetings in general. Most discussion items can effectively be covered in an email. There's no need for me to actually see you face to face. Now, if I like you then the wine-n-cheese model works just fine (or should) and we can cover business in about the first 2 minutes, then proceed to gossip, chatting, and in-depth analysis of the themes of redemption in the series "Angel." Truthfully, that last part only applies to DH Jeff, but I'm willing to entertain others' participation. Hey, I was a religion major, but I guess then we were discussing dharma and cosmology. Same deal, really. Meetings that go for more than 30 minutes (well, really, 15 minutes) really just try my patience and make me sleepy. Especially when the whole point of the meeting is to make yourself seem more important than the insect you really are - and aren't we all in the big scheme of things? To think otherwise is to kid yourself.

Now, there is another thing that's come up lately in my human interactions that I find rather offensive. That is the whole "double-booking" concept. A friend gets together with you only to have to rush off to some party or other get-together. That just makes me think that the next thing is so much more fun and interesting than being with me and mine. And if that's the case, then please, by all means, don't bother with me - go straight to your party or other plans. Frankly, it's insulting. No one has to feel that they are obligated to spend any amount of time with me. It's also a bit self-important - that you're such a hot commodity that you can afford to be rude.

On a much brighter note, DH Jeff, his folks & I went to see Tai Shan this weekend & we got a good glimpse of the little furry tike trundling about with his mom. So cute...and yet he offered a telepathic koan for our enlightenment. Such an evolved creature - it only appears that nothing's going on but bamboo-eating! Ok, if this paragraph didn't make any sense to you, stop at "...afford to be rude." It's a thing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Bark!


Click.