Monday, August 16, 2004

I, Robot

Jeff & I saw I, Robot last night. I think the best & worst that can be said is that it was entertaining eye-candy. If you were happily expecting the same, like I was, it was a win-win situation. Don't be looking for Shakespeare.

The movie is about this cop (Will Smith) who hates/distrusts all robots (who in 2035 do all the mundane tasks). He's brought in to investigate a suspicious suicide, which might involve a robot. Themes of sentience, personhood, prejudice and "unhealed wounds" abound*. Don't think too hard about any of those items - just enjoy the action and pretty sets...and of course, the gratuitous Will Smith nude scene. Like I said, "eye candy."

I give it a B, for what it is.

*For what it's worth, I think Next Gen's "Measure of a Man," involving whether or not Data should be experimented on is a lot more poignant, but that's just me.

No comments: