Thursday, August 26, 2004

More Notes from the Underground - Thurs Morning

A little non-PC note about an observation on the Metro this morning. Well, I was lucky enough to get a seat so I could comfortably read - yeah! Catty-corner from me sat a blue-clad behemoth. Now I don't use that word lightly. She was so huge, that she took up a good portion of the empty seat beside her. Let's face it - no one is going to sit beside her because even if they're carrying half their apartment to work with them, they don't want to be smashed up against all that cascading fat. When her stop came about, she literally had to hoist herself to a standing position, then shuffled slowly out.

The disturbing thing about this, besides the obvious visual nightmare, is that she is not an isolated incident. I've seen morbidly obese people around on a pretty regular basis. Look folks, the human body was not designed to hold that much adipose. I can only imagine the myriad health problems that accompany this lifestyle choice. Ah, you say, how cruel, etc, but I say whoa, most obesity is caused not by "glandular disorders" but by identifiable bad habits.

The good news is that people have changed those habits, lost weight, gotten healthier, and feel better about themselves. The Arkansas governor, Mike Huckabee is perfect example of a great success story.

No comments: